June 27, 2012 1 Comment
This is a contribution from our loyal reader, Lou Catarino.
January 10, 2012 3 Comments
For those of you who do not know, truffles happen to be the most expensive delicacy in the entire world, and they are beginning to create what some call “The Truffle Mafia”.
To be specific, “The Italian White Truffle” which goes for about $3,600 per pound is extremely rare and must be cleaned and cut prior to consumption.
The best example of their value is when in 2007 a man bought a 3.3 pound white truffle for a record-breaking $330,000 dollars…only to be consumed. I personally don’t see what the craze is all about considering that a truffle is technically a mushroom, and paying a good amount of money for a fungus (with the exception of psychedelic mushrooms of course) makes little sense to me. Regardless the rarity pertains with the price as these truffles are subject to an annual worldwide crop of only 30 tons per year.
However, their has been a creation of a black market of truffle selling of a different caliber, namely “Chinese Black Truffles”. Individuals get a white truffle then cut them with black truffles and market them as the rare Italian white truffles to unknowing consumers at high prices. Many complications have come from this, as a huge increase in crime just to obtain the majestic mushroom has risen in France.
The “Truffle Mafia” as they are called, have done the following in order to obtain these truffles:
December 22, 2011 2 Comments
1. Measure 2 cups of coconut oil (all 16 ounces) and pour into your first saucepan, Turn the heat on very low and let it melt down. (Alternatively, you can melt the oil in the microwave first, and then pour into your pan)
2. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
3. Grind up your marijuana (The marijuana doesn’t need to be ground down to a powder, a rough chop, or few spins in a food processor will do. You will have to strain this later.)
4. Measure out 2 cups of your ground up marijuana and pour them into a pyrex baking dish and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. (you want the bud to be crispy, not burnt)
5. Remove from oven and pour the marijuana contents of the pyrex dish into the saucepan that contains the melted coconut oil.
6. Allow this mixture to simmer for 1-2 hours, the longer the time the better the results. Make sure to stir the mixture every ten minutes or so, and DO NOT BOIL the mixture.
7. Strain the marijuana oil mix through your cheesecloth or paper coffee filters into a large measuring cup and clean your saucepan. (If you get chunks of weed in your oil, restrain it until the oil is chunk free)
8. Now measure out 1oz of bees-wax and pour into your newly cleaned saucepan and begin melting on low.
9. Measure out 5oz (almost 2/3 cup) of the cannabis coconut oil and pour it into the saucepan containing the melted bees-wax. Continue to simmer not boil and mix well.
10. Remove it from heat once its mixed well, shouldn’t take too long, and quickly stir in the 1 tablespoon of Vitamin-E oil.
OPTIONAL STEP 10.5. If you want to add fragrant oils, or other healing oils, now is the time, make sure to quickly stir them in along with the Vitamin-E oil.
11. Pour Your liquid cannabis salve into your storage container or containers and allow the mixture to cool and harden completely. You can place it in the refrigerator, but don’t freeze it.
Whether your skin is in need of a boost of moisture, or you suffer from chronic muscle and joint pain, or you want to try it as a home remedy for other skin problems, this salve has you covered.
Once it’s hardened, you just rub it onto the afflicted area. You’ll notice an immediate relief upon using the salve. Though the effects can be felt throughout the day, it’s best to reapply every 6 hours to 8 hours if you suffer from moderate pain. Two weeks of regular daily applications is all it takes to notice a considerable difference.