The Sensory Deprivation Tank

If you have never heard of sensory deprivation, you are probably not alone.

It is not something mainstream that we all know about and can relate to.In fact, it can be a little strange to hear and learn about at first. A sensory deprivation, or isolation tank, is a tank filled with hundreds of pounds of Epsom salts in about a foot of water that is heated to your body temperature in a completely dark and soundproof chamber.

The idea behind the tank is that you are able to float on the water due to the buoyancy created by the salt in the water and after a while you wont be able to feel the water because it is heated to the same temperature as your skin.

There is no light in the tank and all sound is blocked as well.

This creates a deprivation of all senses, and in this state, the mind can be free to wander without any input from it’s physical body counterpart.

You might be wondering why someone would ever want to do this, and I encourage you to watch the videos below for a further explanation of what the tank is really all about from one of the most fascinating people to listen to, Joe Rogan.

What Rogan describes in this video is pretty incredible.

It is a state of mind that is almost impossible to achieve anywhere else on this earth and it can be achieved relatively cheaply and legally without any kind of drugs. What amazes me is how something like this isn’t mainstream as it should be.

A device that can relieve you of stress and tension, show you the inner workings of your mind, and raise your conscious awareness. The idea behind getting into salt filled water in a completely dark tank can be a little strange but after listening to how Joe describes it, I wish I could get my hands on one of these things.

As human beings, I feel we are too bounded by our physical bodies to really embrace the true essence of being human with a conscious awareness.

We have such incredible brainpower that is interfered with constantly from physical sensory input.

When you break down all these physical boundaries and tap into the mind in a pure state, it can be an incredible experience. I can relate to some of the ideas Joe describes through my meditation practice and I can only begin to imagine the power of being in a meditative state in complete isolation might be like.

The Human Energy Chakras

The idea of completely “leaving” your physical body should be quite fascinating to discuss.

I believe this further proves the idea that we are all connected in some way we can’t truly understand yet. We are all part of the same connection just experiencing the whole thing through different physical biological body filters.

There is a lot more about life and the universe that we don’t really have a clue about.

We are all part of the system whether we realize it or not.

We all fit in the picture in some way.

Building your mental framework around this concept can help you realize the true blissful experience of being a human being.

Using the tank seems like a part of the cracking the impossibly complex design of reality.

About TD
Live Consciously, Expand Your Awareness!

10 Responses to The Sensory Deprivation Tank

1. Find a place to float in a sense dep tank near you. We have 450+ locations listed from around the world. Mobile friendly site, easy address-searchable maps. Learn more about the floatation experience.

2. wavey davey says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19uq8QQrMvc this video looks so cool and I really want to try the float tank now as these interviews have inspired me.

3. Pingback: Top 5 Reasons You Don’t Meditate « Zazen Life

4. Pingback: Elektrische Zahnbuerste

5. Laticia says:

Didn’t know the forum rules allweod such brilliant posts.

6. DIESEL says:

haha unreal, Rogan mentions a site called wheretofloat.com I think, there are probably better places to get the true experience in.

7. Argus says:

I did the Tank once. I concluded that they are probably brilliant for good hypnotic subjects but mine did nothing for me. Perhaps if the idiot woman had turned off the mindless scene-setting modern ‘music’ before I got in it might have been better; but even then no spots, stars, hallucinogenic flashes or voice of God. Peaceful and relaxing, yes; also a disappointment.

Before you think me a complete cynic I admit to believing in reincarnation, precognition, and telepathy. Exempting the unknowns of reincarnation it’s hard not to believe in something you’ve done yourself on multiple occasions (but never to order, why is that?) and I’ll post on it sometime.

• DIESEL says:

That’s weird that they would play music, its called a SENSORY DEPRIVATION tank for a reason, kind of defeats the whole purpose.

• Argus says:

It was (I suppose) meant to provide a transition from the hustle and bustle to the peace of the tank. It would have been better if it hadn’t gone on so long and if it had gently faded away to nothing. All very modern and New Age with Panpipes and the tinkle-plops you get whenever they are showing inside caves on TV, but I think the somewhat disinterested young lady minding the shop forgot to turn it off (then suddenly remembered after waaaaaaay too long and flipped a switch).